TransLink’s Millennium Line Evergreen extension opened on December 2, 2016, connecting the Tri-Cities region of Metro Vancouver to the rapid-transit network that runs into downtown Vancouver.
Expansion of the TransLink network is expected to start a new urban era for the region. The rapid-transit connection will bring more affordable housing within a reasonable commute time to other municipalities in Metro Vancouver. The quiet bedroom municipalities outside Vancouver will become more urban. TransLink anticipates daily ridership of 70,000 within five years.
- With the completion of the Evergreen Line, Metro Vancouver now has the longest, fully-automated, driverless, rapid-transit system in the world.
- The 11-kilometre extension to the TransLink Millenium Line system links Burnaby, Port Moody and Coquitlam City Centre to the Millennium Line at Lougheed Town Centre Station in 15 minutes. The six new stations include Lafarge Lake–Douglas, Lincoln, Coquitlam Central, Inlet Centre, Moody Centre, and Burquitlam.
- The rapid transit line includes a two-kilometre tunnel that runs east of the Barnet Highway in Port Moody to south of Kemsley Ave. in Coquitlam.
- The new line cost $1.4-billion and took three years to build. Funding for this project was provided by the Province of British Columbia, the Government of Canada, and TransLink. The Government of Canada is contributing up to $424 million. The Province is contributing $586 million and The Ministry of Transportation oversees construction of the project. TransLink is contributing $400 million.
- In anticipation of the line, Coquitlam has been focusing development in a new city centre.
- Evergreen Line Community Updates. Evergreen To Open December 2. Retrieved on December 6, 2016 from http://www.evergreenline.gov.bc.ca/documents/CommunityUpdates/161124_CommunityUpdate13.pdf.
- TransLink. The Millennium Line Evergreen Extension is now open! Retrieved from: http://www.translink.ca/en/Plans-and-Projects/Rapid-Transit-Projects/Evergreen-Extension.aspx
- Jennifer Saltmann. SkyTrain’s Evergreen extension means a new style of commute from Tri-Cities. Vancouver Sun. December 2, 2016. Retrieved from: http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/skytrains-evergreen-extension-means-a-new-style-of-commute-from-tri-cities